Date:      Sat, 24 Apr 1999 06:39:25 +1000
From:      Jim Mock <jim@blues.ghis.net>
To:        "Charles E. Kennedy" <charlek@CLEMSON.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: general questions

[followed up to -questions, this really doesn't pertain to -doc]

On Fri, 23 Apr 1999 at 14:36:17 -0400, Charles E. Kennedy wrote:
> Hello,
> I just visited your web site and I am interested in trying your
> operating system as soon as I upgrade my current system.  I have not
> been satisfied with the stability of windows 95/98 and am interested
> in a different approach.  However, I do have a few questions for
> you.
>
> 1) Does FreeBSD operate in a windows like environment with a mouse
> or is everything executed from a command line more like DOS?

Both.  FreeBSD itself is a command line environment, however, a
windows like environment (called X) is available with a wide range of
customizable window managers.

> 2) Will my current windows '95 based programs work on FreeBSD?

No.

> For example, although I am not crazy about the Microsoft OS
> solutions, I do like most of the windows software.  Of particular
> concern to me is MS Office.  I have had much success with this
> program and would like to be able to continue to use it.

You'll need to keep a Windows partition (or separate Windows system)
around to run MS Office.  There are some office suites that'll run on
FreeBSD, such as Star Office and Corel Word Perfect, with a native
FreeBSD Applixware port on the way.

> 3) Do I need some version of DOS installed for it to work, or is a
> freshly formatted Hard drive the best way to install the OS?

Either.  You can run either a dual-boot system with Windows, or wipe
Windows out and run only FreeBSD.  I suggest running a dual-boot
system (or installing FreeBSD on a spare system if you have one) until
you're comfortable enough to dump windows.

> I would appreciate any help you can give me regarding these
> questions.  thank you for your time

No problem, hope this helps.

--
Jim Mock  System Administrator  jim@blues.ghis.net    ,-._|\  FreeBSD