Date:      Wed, 25 Jun 2008 12:56:28 +0200
From:      "Alwin Roosen" <alwin.roosen@webline.be>
To:        <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Would a Transcend USB Flash Module of 2GB work?

Hello,

=20

I have been searching quite a bit, but found nothing useful.

=20

I want to install FreeBSD onto an USB Flash Module from Transcend. The
links below are the product page and datasheet in PDF. It says it should
be compatible with OS that supports USB standard.

=20

Can anyone confirm that this would actually work?

=20

http://www.transcend.nl/Products/ModDetail.asp?LangNo=3D0
<http://www.transcend.nl/Products/ModDetail.asp?LangNo=3D0&ModNo=3D122>;
&ModNo=3D122

http://www.transcend.nl/support/dlcenter/datasheet/TS512M~4GUFM-V_H0409.
pdf

=20

I am also wondering if it is a good approach to use USB dongles, instead
of real Solid State devices on ATA. I see a lot of USB problems in the
Mailing list Archives (see link below as example). I don't understand
all of that, and I know there are many USB devices which can cause these
issues. My hardware supplier recommends the USB dongles, because they
are cheaper and easier to install (just plug it in an 10-pin USB port on
the motherboard).

=20

http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-usb/2007-January/002939.h
tml