Date:      Sun, 1 Jul 2007 17:04:49 +0200
From:      Marcin Simonides <marcin@studio4plus.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   mplayer bktr playback performance

I'm trying to use mplayer for TV playback using a bktr driver but it
displays about 1 frame per second. I remember using it with the same
card about two years ago and there were no problems.
CPU usage is low, even though it's not a fast computer. The video
output uses Xv. I'm using FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE with port versions from
the time of release.

I'd like to know whether any of you are using mplayer successfully
for TV playback?
I'd rather use mplayer because 1) some other programs had their own
problems, 2) it's going to be a kiosk-like computer with mplayer
being controlled through a fifo.

As far as I learned from googling, there are/were some problems and
I've seen someone claim that mplayer 0.90 used to work fine.
Unfortunately, this version (and 0.92 - the other pre-0.99 version in
ports) doesn't compile because of ffmpeg incompatibilities (i.e. the
source supplied with that version of mplayer doesn't build on 6.2-
release and ffmpeg from ports is probably too new for mplayer 0.9[02]).

I'm afraid I won't be able to provide much more information for now
because I'm away from the computer in question.

Please CC: me when replying, I'm not subscribed to the list.
--
Marcin Simonides