Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 1999 02:21:59 +0900
From:      Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@FreeBSD.org>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Default FDP docs installation directory?

Sorry for my absence.  The biggest problem is my poor English skills
not to be able to write and read long discussion like this.

And because of my job, I cannot spend much time for FreeBSD in
weekdays.  As you know, currently under pre-freeze time for
3.3-RELEASE, and I have many patches to be reviewed and committed
before freeze.

From: Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
>  1.  LinuxDoc is dying.  SGMLTools, the main 'wrapper' around it in the
>      Linux world has switched to DocBook, and the Linux Documentation
>      Project is moving towards it (although not as quickly as we have --
>      this is mostly because we have less documentation to convert).

>  2.  DocBook is a far better designed DTD.  Yes, there's more to learn
>      about it (which is why I wrote, and continue to write, the primer),
>      but it's more extensible, more flexible and more widely supported.

>  3.  DocBook as a DTD promotes consistency in the choice of markup.  This
>      is a good thing, as it (a) makes the job of marking things up easier,
>      (b) allows more consistency in the output, giving a strong sense of
>      'family' between the documents, (c) prevents the author having to worry
>      about what their document will look like, and instead concentrate on
>      marking up their documentation accurately.

These things are technically true.  But when many committers and
doc-submitters don't use emacs, more verbose self-described markup
language (like DocBook) makes difficult to write for them.  Should we
(emacs users) consider them?

>  4.  DocBook is a "richer" markup model, so our documents will be easier
>      to downgrade to other markup models (like, for example, HTML, or
>      PilotDoc).

As Satoshi said, HTML rendering for our handbook is not completed
yet.  We should refine that before going to another work like
repository reorganization.

> > Also, the Japanese PS and PDF handbook generation is still broken
> > since the Linuxdoc -> Docbook switchover.

> It is?  Define broken?  I know that there were problems, but I was under
> the impression that Jun Kuriyama had fixed them, updated the port, and
> forwarded them on to Norm Walsh.

Yes, currently that is broken.  teTeX cannot handle Japanese encoding
and jadetex also needs patches for Japanese TeX suite.

And I don't have Japanese handling specification in PDF.  I think
dvi2ps and ps2pdf converter help us, but that seems more far stage...

> OK, seriously, for a moment:  if you felt the need to write that then
> something has gone seriously wrong.  I'd like to hear from the members
> of the Japanese Doc. Proj. (in private mail please, not withstanding the
> disclaimer at the start of this message, I don't think we need to subject
> -doc to the rest of this) so we can discuss this a little more slowly and
> a little more calmly.  I mean no offense to you Satoshi, but until this
> little blow-up my contact with the Japanese translators was Jun Kuriyama,
> and he's been conspicuously absent from this thread.

So, everything in these thread (including ones in long ago) is too
speedy for me.  And many things are decided before I can make spare
time for that discussion.

I want to walk more slowly in discussion and in Doc Project working.
I think many translation team have technical problem, but most of that is
local problem which should be solved in local mailing-list.

Of course, not saying like:

>    Sorry, can we postpone this change please.  We haven't got the manpower
>    to dedicate to it right now.

is our fault. (but really I haven't saying that? :-)  But I don't have
any idea for some technical problems, so I cannot say "please postpone
until <someday>."  Can we say "please postpone" in these situation?

Hmmm.  I took over 1 hour to write this mail and much sleepy.  Can I
postpone to replying other comments? :-)

> PS:   Oh, one more thing.  I'm going to be over for FreeBSD Con. in
>       October, and I understand that some of the Japanese translation
>       team are going to be there as well -- could we maybe postpone this
>       whole thing until we can sit down and talk about it face to face?
>       I'm a lovely guy in person, willing to stand my own round of drinks,
>       and I can probably bore you all with pictures of my girlfriend.

I'll go to FreeBSDCon, too.  And Satoshi said he will there.  I don't
know other person's plan...

> PPPS: OK, seriously for a moment again.  "Jun Kuriyama".  Am I right in
>       using "Jun" in the same way other people would refer to me as "Nik",
>       or have I got it backwards?  I've asked about this before, but I
>       think it got lost in the noise, and the last time the topic came up
>       (on another mailing list as it happens) I don't recall any clear
>       consensus -- thanks.

"Jun" is my first name, and "Kuriyama" is family name.  So calling me
"Jun" is correct usage.

Jun Kuriyama // kuriyama@FreeBSD.org
            // kuriyama@FreeBSD.ORG