Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 95 10:03:06 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        seki@sysrap.cs.fujitsu.co.jp (Masahiro SEKIGUCHI)
Cc:        hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Japanese syscons font?

> >The first third party LKM was a console driver called "World 21".  It
> >was an ISO 2022 driver based on (I think) JIS 212 (might have been the
> >older 208).
>
> JIS X 212 is a supplement to X 208.  Sole use of X 212 doesn't make
> sense.  "World 21" must support X 208 only or both X 208 and X 212.

I'm sorry; the "212" I was referring to was a font that was inclusive
of 208.  It should have been "JIS 212 + 208".

> Hmm.  Your work must have addressed a "complete"
> internationalizaion...  For sysinstall, I think, we just need:

Yes.  Including the ability to rename the password file and system
directories to locale-specific names without recompiling binaries.
The shell work was far from complete, however, and most utilities
fell back to the old interfaces by definition.

>   (1) ways of altering messages

yes.

>   (2) ways to display non-ASCII characters on the screen.

yes.

> >It also has the little problem of needing 1280x1024 to get
> >an 80x25 standard font cell screen.
>
> It is common among Japanese PC that a Kanji occupies two columns on a
> screen.  IBM/Microsoft DOS/V, which is a Japanese version of DOS, runs
> with 640x480 standard VGA screen, allowing 40x25 Kanji capacity.

So I learned ...*after* doing the implementation.  8-).

> # I agree that the console driver must implement complicated control
> # over cell management in this case.  DOS/V console driver (so-called
> # JDISP) did it.

Which is more popular now, DOS/V PC's, or the NEC machines?

The NEC would require a different console driver anyway, since the
hardware is different.  I remember that this had been done back in
the 386BSD 0.1 days.

I have tried to get my hands on a NEC machine here in the US with no
luck.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---