Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 2006 15:32:14 -0400
From:      Javier Henderson <javier@kjsl.com>
To:        doug@safeport.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: imap-uw question

On Sep 18, 2006, at 3:16 PM, doug@safeport.com wrote:

> Has anyone configure imap-uw to accept plaintext passwords? The
> options listed
> in the doumentation do not work. I have tried various combinations of
> PASSWDTYPE, SSLTYPE, and WITH_SSL_AND_PLAINTEXT with no success.
>
> Or is there a better imap/pop daemon to use? Thanks for any help.

I've switched from uw-imap to dovecot recently, and I'm quite pleased
with the switch. Dovecot is configured using a plain text file,
enabling and disabling features is a matter of editing the file and
SIGHUP'ing dovecot, instead of recompiling like you have to do with
uw-imap.

You can run dovecot in daemon mode, or invoke it from inetd. I run it
in daemon mode.

Note that with dovecot you can easily configure it to accept
plaintext on a given interface while forcing secure authentications
on another. This may be useful in some cases, depending on network
topology.

-jav