Date:      Thu, 4 Aug 2016 16:01:18 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
Subject:   vt(4) issues on 11.0-BETA3 (Actually 11-STABLE)

Running r303563 on a Lenovo T520 (Sandy Bridge).

I decided to cleanup /usr/local and delete all ports and rebuild all.
Things mostly worked and I'll report separately on what did not. After 2
days everything seems OK.

A particular annoyance during the update was vt(4).  If I had it to do
over, I'd have switched back to sc(4) for the ports re-build. I will file
bugs on these unless I can find ones already submitted.

1. ScrollLock is painfully broken. I press the key and scrolling stops, but
after some amount of data is written to the screen, the new data starts
overwriting the screen from the top. In a couple of seconds while building
ports, anything I'm trying to look at is gone! If I press ScrollLock again,
before the entire screen is overwritten, it resumes output right where it
left off at the bottom of the screen. I'm not too sure whether it starts
where it left off in hte data or with the next line after those that
over-wrote the screen.

2. If I select a region with the mouse (when not scrolling), at intervals
an area of the screen the size of that selected appears in reverse video.
This continues until I either select a different region or click to
deselect everything. (I strongly suspect that these two issues are in some
way related.)

3. After one port erred on the build, I scrolled back to select the list of
ports still to be built (a portmaster(8) feature) and try to paste it into
the same window or a different one. I get a totally different region. Since
the list spanned several lines due to line wrap, I got a bunch of other
lines, no doubt from some other part of the buffer. I have a hunch that
this is tied to the fact that a great many lines of output get wrapped into
multiple lines on the display and the arithmetic of what is selected goes
awry. (Just a guess, though.)

It is quite possible that all of these are actually different
manifestations of a single bug. I had never seen this before, but had never
used vt(4) for anything that produced such a number of wrapped lines. for
some builds, this resulted in a single line of text being wrapped to over a
dozen lines on the display.
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com