Date:      Sat, 12 Oct 2002 17:49:34 -0400
From:      "Robert S. Wojciechowski Jr." <robertw@wojo.com>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Have a RocketPort 8J PCI? Read this please!  Was: RE: RocketPort PCI freezes on startup

Bottom line:  So, does anyone have a revision D or higher RocketPort 8J PCI
nearby?  If so, want to take a picture of it so I can compare components?
:-P  Read below for the reasons.

Well, I found out what could possibly be the problem:

I called Comtrol and although my card is out of warranty, I was told that my
revision C card (circa 1997) is susceptible to noise from newer and noisier
motherboards (uhm).  My symptoms were very similar to other cases they've
had on Windows, where the machine would freeze during the rp initialization
once in a while.

He did tell me that a bypass cap value was changed in later revisions to
filter noise from noisy motherboards, but the tech couldn't find the changed
cap designator or new value for me on Friday.  I'm not sure how long it will
take, and as I need to ship this server soon as time is running out.  I've
tried various different bypass caps myself on the board (various common
bypass values for tants, electrolytics and ceramics) with no success.

Oh, and I found the exact part of the driver that is freezing:

rp_pci.c: sPCIInitController
rp.c:      sReadAiopID
rp.c:       rp_writeaiop1(...);  /* here */

I doubt that it's a driver problem though, but just throwing this out there
for the hell of it.  I've compared this section to the Linux driver from
Comtrol and it's implemented nearly identical.

--Robert