Date:      Sun, 3 Aug 1997 23:54:11 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        ade@demon.net
Cc:        hoek@hwcn.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports-current/packages-current discontinued

Ade Lovett stands accused of saying:

> The compartmentalised OS could be dealt with in a similar manner:
>
> 	bin/
> 		bin-base
> 		bin-perl
> 		bin-tcl
> 		bin-ALL
>
> No?

Again; this has all been discussed before.

If you strongly believe that something should be done, I humbly
suggest that you should put your shoulder where your yapper is and
commence a survey of the system in order to group the various
components currently shipped as "bin" into a striaghtforward set of
half a dozen or so functional groups.

As a leader here, the following should be relatively straightforward :

 - core		"basic" system binaries
 - uucp		obvious
 - development	tools for software development
 - text		text-manipulation tools (eg man(1) and friends)
 - obscure	weird stuff that people with beards and grey hair use
 - games	obvious

Then you might try a couple of overlapping sets :

 - posix	an explicit "posix-only" footprint
 - SUS		likewise for the "Singlue Unix Specification"

I'm not suggesting you have to write the tools, or any of the
infrastructure, purely and simply create, and _MAINTAIN_ these lists
in a form that leads itself to public discussion of the groupings.

This step is crucial to any further progress in this argument; without
this work being done, we will achieve nothing.