Date:      Thu, 19 May 2005 15:15:06 +0200
From:      "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
To:        Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie@le-hen.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSDcan slides uploaded

In message <20050519130919.GL818@obiwan.tataz.chchile.org>, Jeremie Le Hen writ
es:
>Hi,
>
>> I have uploaded my slides from BSDcan2005
>>
>> 	http://phk.freebsd.dk/pubs/bsdcan2005_ioctl.pdf
>
>I read this paper with attention, I was wondering if there is
>actually any upcoming kernel work in this area.

The paper is mostly a status report.

The g_ctl and nmount stuff is in the kernel and the paper is the
result of me wondering if those two shouldn't use the exact same
mechanisms and functions rather than being almost, but not quite
entirely, identical.

Real progress in this area would take more time than I would hope to
have available myself in the near term.

Ideally we should get some rapport between the various projects
(including Linux) about moving forward in this area, but given that
this topic is intensely prone to bikeshedding, I don't think it
even wise to attempt to do so.

The best way forward might be for some small dedicated group of hackers
to sit down, think it out (including the points raised at BSDcan
about i18n etc) and implement a userland library and a set of kernel
convenience functions (both hiding what goes between them) and
get that working.

If that becomes a success and it is easily portable to other OS
(because the exact kernel-barrier mechanism is implementation
dependent) then maybe we stand a chance of improving this little
corner of UNIX over the next decade or so.