Date:      Sun, 18 Jul 2004 10:20:28 -0400
From:      Tim Schutt <tschutt@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: postfix, smtp-auth, Cyrus SASL for relay restriction troubles.

Thanks so much for the reposes, Josh and Paul.

Josh: great article... if nothing else, the errors changed that I was
getting so I can feel hopeful that progress is being made.  I wish I
had found that at the beginning of this whole progress, because it
gave about the most logical "recipie" to follow that I've seen so far.

so, here are the current errors upon SMTP-Auth failure... and to let
know, I have created the sasldb2 file in /usr/local/etc/ with the
utilities that you mentioned in your article.

==== logfile snip ====
Jul 18 10:04:16 www postfix/smtpd[20073]: warning: SASL authentication
failure: Could not open db
Jul 18 10:04:16 www postfix/smtpd[20073]: warning: SASL authentication
failure: Could not open db
Jul 18 10:04:16 www postfix/smtpd[20073]: warning: SASL authentication
failure: Password verification failed
==== logfile end ===

Paul: here's what my master.cf file looks like. I do have Amavis and
ClamAV installed and running.... could they be getting in the way
somehow? One thing that I noticed is the smtp-amavis line in  the file
appears to be configured to run chrooted. Will this make sasl grumpy?

=== master.cf ==

smtp      inet  n       -       n       -       -       smtpd   -v
pickup    fifo  n       -       n       60      1       pickup
cleanup   unix  n       -       n       -       0       cleanup
qmgr      fifo  n       -       n       300     1       qmgr
rewrite   unix  -       -       n       -       -       trivial-rewrite
bounce    unix  -       -       n       -       0       bounce
defer     unix  -       -       n       -       0       bounce
trace     unix  -       -       n       -       0       bounce
verify    unix  -       -       n       -       1       verify
flush     unix  n       -       n       1000?   0       flush
proxymap  unix  -       -       n       -       -       proxymap
smtp      unix  -       -       n       -       -       smtp
relay     unix  -       -       n       -       -       smtp
showq     unix  n       -       n       -       -       showq
error     unix  -       -       n       -       -       error
local     unix  -       n       n       -       -       local
virtual   unix  -       n       n       -       -       virtual
lmtp      unix  -       -       n       -       -       lmtp
anvil     unix  -       -       n       -       1       anvil
maildrop  unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
  flags=DRhu user=vmail argv=/usr/local/bin/maildrop -d ${recipient}
old-cyrus unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
  flags=R user=cyrus argv=/cyrus/bin/deliver -e -m ${extension} ${user}
cyrus     unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
  user=cyrus argv=/cyrus/bin/deliver -e -r ${sender} -m ${extension} ${user}
uucp      unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
  flags=Fqhu user=uucp argv=uux -r -n -z -a$sender - $nexthop!rmail ($recipient)
ifmail    unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
  flags=F user=ftn argv=/usr/lib/ifmail/ifmail -r $nexthop ($recipient)
bsmtp     unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
  flags=Fq. user=foo argv=/usr/local/sbin/bsmtp -f $sender $nexthop $recipient

smtp-amavis unix - - y - 2 smtp
   -o smtp_data_done_timeout=1200
   -o disable_dns_lookups=yes
127.0.0.1:10025 inet n - n - - smtpd
   -o content_filter=
   -o local_recipient_maps=
   -o smtpd_helo_restrictions=
   -o smtpd_client_restrictions=
   -o smtpd_sender_restrictions=
   -o mynetworks=127.0.0.0/8

smtps     inet  n       -       n       -       -       smtpd -o
smtpd_tls_wrappermode=yes -o smtpd_sasl_auth_enable=yes