Date:      Wed, 27 Jan 1999 23:56:51 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        axl@iafrica.com, bde@zeta.org.au
Cc:        bonnetf@bart.esiee.fr, dhw@whistle.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, meyerd1@fang.cs.sunyit.edu, mike@smith.net.au
Subject:   Re: NIS with HPUX 10.20

>> So that ld-elf.so.1 can be installed safely on an active system.
>
>I assume I should take your "installed safely" to mean "not installed"?

I meant what I said.

>Are there a lot of files that aren't installed for similar reasons
>during an installworld? If there are, I'd be interested in hearing about
>them so that I can update them manually.

No.  installworld more or less assumes single user.  install(1) without
-C is always unsafe on active systems, even for files that don't change,
because the targets go away temporaily.  `install -C' is completely
safe for files that don't change and fairly safe otherwise.  The latter
depends on the magic of unlinked open (or mmapped) files and enough disk
and RAM for the active unlinked copies.  Perhaps it's not completely
safe for ld-elf.so.1.  It is safe if all accesses are by file descriptor
except for an initial open.

Bruce