Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 1999 10:50:45 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirkx@webweaving.org>
To:        Terje Elde <delta@xti.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Which laptop? Any comment on the vaios?

On Thu, 12 Aug 1999, Terje Elde wrote:

> Anyone have anythign to recommend?

> Also, sony vaio users on the list who can comment on their experiences?
> I'm thinking about getting a 505 or something like that.

I've been pleased as (a) pie with my 505; and it has survived a fairly
harsh live for over 18 months now without so much as a scratch. Though the
stickers at the back come peeling off. See http://www.webweaving.org/vaio/
for (outdated) some notes on porting. 3.2/PAO was actually trivial to
install.

Basically everything works; apm, sound, screen, mice, suspend, hibernate,
whatever. Except one niggle; controlling the sound from your modem. There
is none. But in windows you can control it. USB starts to work from
3.2/current onwards. The keyboard does not have that much depth; and I
would have prefered one of those thinkpad style 'nob' mice. But they
again, it is so thing and easy to carry.

On other very important point; the VAIO's colour's coordinate very nicely
with the small metal/glassy FreeBSD deamons you can get from walnut creek.
They would not coordinate nearly as well with, say, compaq creamy or
toshiba grey. Bear this in mind.

Dw.