Date:      Fri, 5 Feb 1999 22:43:50 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@pagesz.net>
To:        udo.wolter@charite.de
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fxtv: another user without picture...:-(

Udo Wolter:
 |Today I bought a TV card name "Typhoon TV Tuner". It has the BT848 chip
 |on board and with winsuck it works. After adding bktr0 to my kernel
 |the card will get loaded like this:
 |
 |bktr0 <BrookTree 848> rev 18 int a irq 12 on pci0:11:0
 |Miro TV, Temic NTSC tuner.
 |
 |The first thing is, that it should be a PAL tuner, so why does it say
 |it's NTSC (under winsuck it works as a PAL tuner).
 |DETECTED CAPTURE CARD(S) [DRIVER PROBES]:
 |    bktr0 <BrookTree 848> rev 18 int a irq 12 on pci0:11:0
 |    Miro TV, Temic NTSC tuner.

It does sound like it's being detected wrong, which is probably the source
of your problems.  Try overriding the tuner type to a PAL version:

    # sysctl -a | grep bt848
    hw.bt848.card: -1
    hw.bt848.tuner: -1
    hw.bt848.reverse_mute: -1
    hw.bt848.format: -1

    # sysctl -w hw.bt848.tuner=2

    #define TEMIC_PAL               2
    #define PHILIPS_PAL             5
    #define TEMIC_PALI              7
    #define PHILIPS_PALI            8
    #define PHILIPS_FR1216_PAL      10
    #define PHILIPS_FR1236_SECAM    11

If no luck, I'd try the latest driver.  Might as well upgrad fxtv at the
same time:

      http://telepresence.dmem.strath.ac.uk/bt848/
      http://www.pagesz.net/~aa8vb/fxtv/

Randall