Date:      Sat, 5 Oct 1996 19:01:33 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>
Cc:        grog@lemis.de, barnes@biodec.wustl.edu, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: help find compiler, please.

On Sat, 5 Oct 1996, Don Yuniskis wrote:

> It seems that Andreas Klemm said:

> > > Just out of interest, what's wrong with gcc that makes it unable to
> > > compile the templates?  Are you sure it's not a problem with the
> > > sources?  C++ is a moving target, and it's quite possible that gcc is
> > > correct in not compiling them.  If not, I'm sure the gcc people would
> > > like to know how it breaks.
> >
> > FreeBSD-current now has gcc 2.7.2.1 and libg++ 2.7.2 if that might
> > be of interest ... If I remember right, some people said on the
> > mailinglists, that some C++ projects are only to handle with gcc-2.7.x.
>
> Has anyone looked into how difficult it would be to build 2.7.X on
> a 2.1R machine?  I'd hate to heve to upgrade *everything* just to
> use a newer gcc for development work...

I think you can every time compile and install a newer gcc release
in parallel to the normal system compiler.

remove /usr/bin/gcc and compile and install the gcc version you
like to /usr/local/bin ...

If I were you, I'd try to get gcc 2.7.2.1 from -current, since there
are FreeBSD patches included, that still aren't in the base relase of
gcc ....

Since .weak support was added for gas, you should perhaps try
to update as and ld as well, perhaps ar, too. But since I didn't
try this, it should be confirmed by others ...

	Andreas ///

__
andreas@klemm.gtn.com         /\/\___      Wiechers & Partner Datentechnik GmbH
   Andreas Klemm          ___/\/\/         Support Unix -- andreas.klemm@wup.de
pgp p-key  http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/~bal/pks-toplev.html  >>> powered by <<<
ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/Printing/aps-491.tgz  >>>    FreeBSD <<<