Date:      Sun, 3 Aug 1997 18:05:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-SCSI@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new kernel

On Sun, 3 Aug 1997, Stefan Esser wrote:

> On Aug 3, Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu> wrote:
> > I have an NCR 825 card, and I was just trying out a new kernel, but it
> > wouldn't complete the boot.  It gets to the line:
> >
> > ncr0: waiting for scsi devices to settle
> >
> > and just hangs.  I waited 5 minutes, then rebooted.  Any idea if I couased
> > this myself?
>
> I don't think so, but I did not receive
> any other NCR bug report, recently, and
> thus there may be something special with
> your controller or system.
>
> Please answer a few questions:
>
> Is this with the latest -current kernel ?

Yes, from last night's cvs/ctm.  Only modification is addition of
Amancio's sound code.  I don't _think_ that would affect this.

> Did a kernel built from sources more recent
> than July 28th work ?

My previous kernel was from 7/18.

> Assuming you got a local CVS repository,
> could you please check whether rev. 1.100
> or perhaps even 1.102 still worked, or
> whether you have to go back to 1.99 ?

Rev of what file?  I'd be happy to check, you're helping me!
I could just check out sys as of some date, if you want.

> Your problem could still be caused by
> changes to other parts of the kernel, but
> since there were a number of commits to
> the driver over the last few days, it may
> be a driver bug, which I'm most interested
> to find and fix.

If you'll work with me, I'll certainly help all I can.  Be a little more
precise in what you want me to check out of my local cvs.  I just did a
make world, but the only lkms I use are dos and cd9660.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |