Date:      Wed, 9 Dec 1998 21:45:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Mullaney <mullaneb@mccc.edu>
To:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Read this...

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, Lyndon Griffin wrote:

> 1)  Price/total cost of ownership

Every new Sparc machine I've seen comes with a solaris right-to-use
license. And Solaris is free (well, shipping costs something)
(Look at Suns free solaris program)

> 3)  people like me that get a Sparc for free, excepting that it's ten years
> old and you can't get a current version of Solaris to run on it (I'll bet

Solaris 2.7 Runs on sun-4c, sun-4d, sun-4m, sun-4u, and sun-4u1
So it will run on hardware that is about 8 years old

How long are they supposed to support legacy hardware in current OS
releases, in your view?

Brian
(It would be nice to get a slightly more modern OS for my 2/120,
but I won't be bugging Sun about HW support any time soon)