Date:      Tue, 26 Feb 2002 21:29:51 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
Cc:        David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Today's panic on boot problem

Mike Silbersack wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Peter Wemm wrote:
>
> > Mike Silbersack wrote:
> > >_
> > > Hm, sounds like UP got optimized out.
> >
> > Gah!  That would be a first. :(
>
> Well, until I can build a working kernel, I'll just assume that it's a
> feature.

FWIW, turning off PG_G see_ms to help.  Change in pmap.c:
#if !defined(SMP) || defined(ENABLE_PG_G)
to:
#if /*!defined(SMP) ||*/ defined(ENABLE_PG_G)
and see how you go.  This got me past atkbd0, but it is a very worrying
sign.  I now get a vnode related panic. :-(

I've reread the changes about 50 times now and cannot for the life of me
see why it works for SMP but not UP.  I'm about ready to back it all out.

Cheers,
-Peter