Date:      Fri, 07 Mar 2003 11:09:25 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Larry Sica <lomion@mac.com>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FYI: SCO Group Slaps IBM with $1B Suit

Larry Sica wrote:
> It won't reach there.  IBM is very good at delaying things.  Also They
> have to go through the normal legal process which I don't think SCO has
> the money to do.  They are trying to bully ibm for a payoff.  IBM does
> not get bullied either heh.

They also have the patent portfolio from hell.  IBM files more
patents each year than all other US filers combined.

The can always just say "We're so sorry; we're quite willing to
pay; there's just this small matter of these 11,731 patents of
ours that UNIX infringes".

IBM has 5 patents they belive SQUID infringes; that why we were
not allowed to ship SQUID on the InterJet II, due to the GPL
giving away licensing for that patent.  It's also why there is
no "IBM Linux", and they always partner with a Linux company to
provide Linux for their machines, when they sell a Linux-based
solution.  If SQUID or Linux ever became a threat in the hands
of a commercial competitor, they could crush them like a bug.

I have a real love/hate relationship with IBM over tactics like
this: they are incredibly smart about some things, but incredibly
dumb about others.

-- Terry