Date:      Wed, 16 May 2007 00:36:28 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Phusion <phusion2k@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Backing up large partitions

--K8nIJk4ghYZn606h

On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 04:27:01PM -0500, Phusion wrote:
>  I need some advice on how to backup a UNIX server. The server has
>  multiple large partitions ranging from 200 to 400 GB. Also, the server
>  doesn't have a tape drive. We recently got a large NAS device that has
>  2 TB of storage space. The UNIX server has Samba installed and can be
>  setup to mount a Windows network share. I would like the ability to
>  run full and incremental backups as well as restores. Let me know what
>  you think.

Use dump(8) (with the -L flag!) and bzip2(1) to write compressed dumps
to the NAS (which should be mounted, of course). If you do it in a cron
job at night, no one will be bothered by it. Don't bother with bzip2 if
most of your data is already compressed, like photos, videos, zip files=20
or mp3.

I've written a small shell-script that does just that. Mail me if you
want it.

Roland
--=20

--K8nIJk4ghYZn606h