Date:      Tue, 23 May 2000 19:14:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help: Mysterious network hangs

I am using FBSD 3.4R and am setup with @home cable network.
I have had this setup for about a week and things were mostly fine.
But yesterday, I started getting network hangs (netscape 4.72 was
running in each case).

I believe that netscape is the culprate, but I am not sure why. No-one
else has reported this problem, so maybe I have a bad config somewhere.

Anyway, when it occurs, all network activity seems to stop. Cannot ping
anything (but localhost) and netstat stops after the first line of output.

I thought the problem might be with @home, but they were no help on the
phone - once they found out I was not on a windows box their brain froze
up.

I can solve the problem by rebooting fbsd.
One time it only worked for about 1 minute after rebooting.
One time it worked for about 1 hour after rebooting.

One thing I don't like is that I have to reboot. I shouldn't have to
reboot - is that right?

One time I was able to recover by performing:

killall -HUP swapper inetd

but since it has not consistently worked, I am thinking it was a
coincidence (self fixing problem if I wait long enough) or I am close to
solving the problem but have not pinpointed it.

Is there some test that I can perform to monitor the health of my network?
Does anyone have a clue as to why this is happening?

Thanks