Date:      Tue, 13 May 2014 22:30:01 +0100
From:      Dave B <g8kbvdave@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on disc

> Am 11.05.2014 um 11:10 schrieb Jack Richard <jackrichard43@gmail.com>:
>
> > I have attempted to install FreeBSD in Toshiba amd64 8GB/640GB-hdd.
> > All I get is BS. I am willing to buy FreeBSD on disc from a vendor,
> > BUT - I will only buy the disc set if I can get confirmation that
> > FreeBSD will work; ie ===> Hardware found, internet available
> > without the BS part. I am computer-aware and have a fair education,
> > but the requirements to get FreeBSD to work after downloading,
> > burning the iso to disc and hours of installation without being able
> > to use it is VERY annoying and I feel that if FreeBSD cannot work in
> > every fashion OUT-OF-THE-BOX, then tell me now so I can save myself
> > the trouble. Please feel free to contact me at the email address and
> > let me know something. Thanks!
>
> Hi Jack!
> What do you mean with BS (Black screen?). Do you get a login prompt?
> Were you able to install FreeBSD anyway? You also might want to try
> PC-BSD (http://www.pcbsd.org/), which targets end-user systems like
> notebooks.
>
> Jeremy
>
> P.S.: why do you want to use FreeBSD at all? You don't seem to like
> dealing with your computer's OS.

Sadly, like most car drivers, most computer users don't want to know what
happens under the hood (in the box) they just want to jump in (logon) and go
somewhere (do something) as quick as possible...

For the rest of us, building cars, bikes, radios, computers etc, is the fun part.
Using them, less so.

Cheers.

Dave B.

Have to say, I can't help sympathising with that ethos.