Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 2002 22:21:51 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Seth Hieronymus <sethh@principia.edu>, <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: My problems with GEOM

On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <20021009193847.F4643-100000@gamplex.bde.org>, Bruce Evans writes:

> >> Cool.
> >
> >It still can't even mount root for my configurations.  This is because
> >it breaks compatibility by dropping support for the devices on the
> >first FreeBSD slice being named without a slice number (e.g., ad0a is
> >named ad0a, not ad0s<machine-dependent slice number>a).
>
> ... as discussed years back.

The maintainer of the slice code never agreed with removing the
compatibility slice and always used this feature.  Unfortunately, the
maintainer wasn't diligent enough in fixing i386-centric documentation
that says to use explicit slice numbers.

> All you have to do is edit your /etc/fstab.

Not so.  I would have to edit fstab back and forth to boot various
kernels, and would also have to use devfs or MAKEDEV to get all the
sliced devices created, and change boot loaders back and forth to
get the slice number passed in a way that is recognized by all
kernels of interest  (or change ROOTDEVNAMES back and forth) ....

Bruce