Date:      Mon, 30 Apr 2018 00:01:54 +0200
From:      Ed Schouten <ed@nuxi.nl>
To:        Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, daniel.nelson@influxdb.com
Subject:   Re: "Sysctl as a Service" for influxdb / telegraf

Hi Eitan,

> I've been talking with the maintainer of telegraf about implementing
> an importer for the Prometheus exporter. They mentioned that they'd
> prefer a slightly different format. I'd like to add a new independent
> application similar to prometheus_sysctl_exporter for the influx wire
> format.

I just browsed through the Telegraf GitHub page and noticed that
Telegraf even has integrated support for parsing metrics in
Prometheus' format:

https://github.com/influxdata/telegraf/tree/master/plugins/inputs/prometheus

Considering this and the ongoing standardisation effort, maybe it
makes more sense to stick to a single exporter? We can consider
extending the man page to mention that it can also be used in
combination with Telegraf.

--
Ed Schouten <ed@nuxi.nl>
Nuxi, 's-Hertogenbosch, the Netherlands