Date:      Mon, 11 Sep 95 15:50:08 -0400
From:      LPPelletier@cmq.qc.ca (Luc Pelletier)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Passwd file?

Here's the test I'm trying on my PC. I want to know how to recover if I ever
lose my root password.

Suppose I've lost my root password. I managed to create a boot diskette on
which I put a copy of the files passwd and master.passwd. Those files contains
only one entry for the root login (no passwd).

Once booted from the diskette, I mount my hard disk and copied both file on
it.
I rebooted from the hard disk and to my great surprise, I had to give my old
password
for the root in order to log in.

What is the trick here?   -Lpp...lost in space!!!