Date:      Mon, 16 Mar 1998 18:50:20 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATTENTION: Call for opinion re: root device naming change

Strong vote for keeping it in. In my mind (and with all due respect to
those involved) the problems we've seen were caused by too little
notice, too little regression testing, and too few people reading the
right lists at all. It seems to me that the bugs have been worked out of
the thing, and we have an opportunity to shout the news from the
mountaintops before 2.2.6 goes golden. That combined with the "Important
upgrade info" page that is going to go into production prior to 2.2.6
should put us in a good position. I would really hate to take a step
backward at this point, especially if there's a chance there will be
another release in the 2.2 branch.

	That said, I did think of another way to handle the problem of a
mismatch between a new kernel and an old mount. Put the test for most up
to date mount version that someone suggested previously into
/usr/sbin/config. If the user is about to do damage, config should bomb
loud and ugly with the appropriate information. In fact, this method
could be extensible to other cases in the future with a little thought.
:)

Hope this helps,

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest