Date:      Fri, 23 Apr 1999 17:16:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      yossman <yossman@nonline.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   DPT RAID - supported?

i'm looking into getting a DPT RAID SCSI controller for one of my busier
FreeBSD machines, but unfortunately DPT tech support (www.dpt.com) can't
tell me for sure whether their cards will work with FreeBSD or not.  i've
heard reports of people using their RAID IV series with FreeBSD (for
hardware-level RAID support), but i have no specifics to go on and i'm not
willing to do the upgrade until i know it will work. ;)  i've tried to
contact the driver author for DPT cards myself, but i haven't gotten an
answer back yet and the need for the upgrade continues to grow on a daily
basis.

does FreeBSD3.1.0R support the DPT RAID IV cards?  can anyone confirm/deny
real production use of these cards?  i took a look at the handbook's idea of
what is supported by FreeBSD and what is not, but it doesn't look like that
list is at all comprehensive, or if it's even been updated lately. ;( if DPT
RAID might not be the way to go, can someone suggest an alternative
hardware-level RAID SCSI card system that they know does work with FreeBSD?
what i'm after is something seamless, so FreeBSD sees only one drive which
is actually mirrored across additional drives, that FreeBSD doesn't have to
know about (shouldn't know about, even).

if anyone knows that FreeBSD will support these cards, or even better, if
anyone is using them or knows about a company that is, i'd love to hear
about it.  if my email address could be cc:'d directly on replies to this
email i've sent to the freebsd-questions mailing list that'd be great; i'm
currently not subscribed as the volume of email coming to me even now is too
great for me to handle at the moment. ;)

thanks a lot for your time in advance, talk to you guys soon.

yossman