Date:      Sun, 19 Nov 2000 21:08:32 +0100
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Allan Dib <dib.allan.l@edumail.vic.gov.au>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing a port

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 20, 2000 at 06:16:37AM +0000, Allan Dib wrote:
> I wonder if anyone can answer what is probably a very basic question. I've
> been reading some BSD documentation and often it will say in regard to
> installing a port something like "simply change
> /usr/ports/the-port-you-want-to-install and run 'make install'". I have
> always used the command "make install". However lately I've seen a lot of
> documentation say to use the command 'make && make install' what's the
> difference and which should one use??

Hum, I can't think right away of a difference other than that the first is
a lot shorter.

'make install' does a 'make all' (which is what you get if you type 'make')
internally.

The most secure method would be to do 2 separate steps:
1. cd /usr/ports/foobar && make
   as a user
2. become root and do
   cd /usr/ports/foobar && make install

However, this breaks if the port needs to install any dependencies (because
it'll try to install those using your user account), so you'll have to
install each port manually.

For normal use, just use 'make install' as root and you'll be fine.

HTH,

--Stijn