Date:      Sun, 30 Jul 2000 22:32:51 +0200
From:      Reinhold Huber <rhuber@fs.tum.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   xdm and authorisation failure with 4.0-RELEASE

Hi there,

today, I found time to install 4.0-RELEASE from Walnut Creek cdrom. There
seems to be a problem with xdm and the X server, which has to do
with MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE authorisation.

The greeter window of xdm is titled "X Window System" instead of the
machine name, the error message "login incorrect" is black, in contrast to
the configuration file, which says it should be red. In the .xsession-errors
file of the user, I find lots of

Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
xrdb: Can't open display ':0'
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
Error: Can't open display: :0

and in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/xdm-errors:
[...]
System: `/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/xkbcomp -w 1 -R/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb -xkm -m de
 -em1 "The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:" -emp "> " -eml "Errors
from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server" keymap/xfree86 compiled/xfree86.xkm'
AUDIT: Sun Jul 30 19:05:47 2000: 877 X: client 2 rejected from local host
  Auth name: XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 ID: -1
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
/usr/X11R6/bin/xrdb: Can't open display ':0'
AUDIT: Sun Jul 30 19:05:47 2000: 877 X: client 3 rejected from local host
  Auth name: XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 ID: -1
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
Error: Can't open display: :0

In the archives of freebsd-questions, I found several reports of the problem,
and one answer about recompiling xdm against a new PAM library, and no more
answers.

- Is there a solution for this problem short of compiling parts of X? I don't
  dare doing this, unless it's absolutely necessary.
- If not, might it be a solution to get a re-compiled xdm from somebody who
  successfully recompiled it? Where could I get one?

Thx in advance,
Reinhold Huber