Date:      Thu, 15 Nov 2001 13:02:02 -0800
From:      John Merryweather Cooper <john_m_cooper@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   A Modest Proposal for Java(tm) dependency selection among ports

I have a problem and a proposed solution regarding Java(tm) ports.

First, the problem:  reflecting the range of JDK/JRE's that a given
port will operate under while trying not to force the end user to
install all three of the native JDK's (if not necessary).

For example:

NetRexx 2.02 (still waiting for a committer to take it under his/her
wing) will run under either 1.1.8, 1.2.2, or 1.3.1, PROVIDED that the
CLASSPATH or NETREXX_JAVA environment variables are properly setup for
desired JDK.

On the other hand, JGNAT-1.1p, while it theoretically works with JDK
1.1.8, in practice is very unhappy unless a Java2 JDK (1.2.2 or 1.3.1)
is setup.  Again, the CLASSPATH must be properly setup for the
particular JDK.

I'm sure other examples will come to mind.  :)

Now the proposed solution:

bsd.port.mk (probably through a bsd.java.mk) would provide the
following knobs:

USE_JAVA=[yes|no]	knob will succeed on any of JDK's 1.3.1,
			1.2.2, or 1.1.8 IN THAT ORDER (latest
			version first)
USE_JAVA2=[yes|no]	knob will succeed on either JDK 1.3.1 or
			1.2.2 IN THAT ORDER
USE_JAVA11=[yes|no] knob will succeed on ONLY JDK 1.1.8

WANT_LINUX_JAVA=[yes|no]
			same as above except Linux version Java's
			are used and USE_JAVA11 will abort build.

WANT_JRE_ONLY=[yes|no]
			same as above except a JRE will be used
			instead of a JDK, if available

JAVA_VER		reports Java(tm) detected or built by
			USE_JAVA*

Ports that are not picky will use whatever JDK is installed, and ports
that are will install a JDK/JRE as appropriate.

Doubtless, there are some other ways to do this--and I'm no Makefile
maven--but I think something along these lines needs to be done to
reduce the chaos level in the java portion of the ports tree.  YMMV.

--
jmc                               ||   MacroHard --                    \