Date:      Mon, 17 Jun 1996 12:40:07 -0400
From:      Branson Matheson <branson@widomaker.com>
To:        "Eric R. Jorgensen" <jorgy@refuge.Colorado.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installing 2.1.0-RELEASE with WD8013EPC ethernet card - again

"Eric R. Jorgensen" uttered with conviction:

>Hello,
>
>I sent the following message a while ago, but haven't heard anything
>on the list about it.  I suspect that people think that I'm doing
>something wrong that's trivial.  However, I'm sure that I've
>set the configuration correctly for the card (IP address, nameserver,
>netmask, etc.) correctly (I've been running ifconfig for 8 years), and
>I know that the card worked just fine with Win 95%, so it's not a
>card/cable problem.

 It looks to me like you have the wrong IRQ.. or a conflict. I have an HP
vectra
here at work with a 3Com card... and it works fine...

 There is a BIOS setting to disable the on board ethernet .. make sure that you
have turned it off...

>The odd thing is that it says that "Network initialized correctly"
>but then conks out.

 Verify that the irq displayed in the bootup messages is the same as the one
that you have configured for your hardware,.

 -branson
 Branson Matheson       | Ferguson Enterprises  | If Pete and Repeat were
 System Administrator   | W: (804) 874-7795     | sittin on a fence and Pete
 Unix, Perl, WWW        | branson@widomaker.com | fell off, who is left?