Date:      Fri, 23 Apr 1999 19:18:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu (Doug White)
Cc:        youlgok@ibm.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HELP: Novice 'network setup'

Doug White wrote,
> Deleting -hardware.
>
> On Fri, 23 Apr 1999 youlgok@ibm.net wrote:
>
> > It's not static and it uses DHCP.  Please help me to configure this.
>
> Install the isc-dhcp port and set dhclient to run on startup (out of
> either /etc/rc.local or a script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/).  It'll set up
> the IP and DNS servers for you.

For a newbie, that's all a lot easier said than done. You might try
the following website,

http://home.san.rr.com/freebsd/dhcp.html

From my quick look, it contains the same Catch-22 that the above
advice has. How do you add a port, which do automatic downloads over
the net, when you are not connected to the net? If you have the 4 CD
set, you just slip in the right CD and go, but if you are doing it all
over the net, get the following,

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/dhcp-2.0b1pl18.tar.gz

By whatever means you can. For example, download it in the Win95 you
seem to be using, "youlgok." Then log into FreeBSD, copy that file
from wherever you put it on the Win95 system to /usr/ports/distfiles,
then go to /usr/ports/net/isc-dhcp2 and make and install the
port. From there, continue to follow the instructions on the above
website.

I'd like to help more, after all I have a coax cable modem too... But
I have a static IP. =)