Date:      Tue, 5 Jun 2001 17:25:34 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Drew Tomlinson <drewt@writeme.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Add Space To Vinum Volume?

Computer output was wrapped.

On Tuesday,  5 June 2001 at  0:44:55 -0700, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
> I have a vinum volume but would like to add some more space to it.  I've
> looked at the man page but can't seem to get it through my thick head as to
> what I need to do.  I'm afraid to just try things as I'd prefer not to
> destroy the data on my existing volume.  My current volume is as follows:
>
> vinum -> list
> 4 drives:
> D disk1                 State: up       Device /dev/da0h        Avail: 8583/8583  MB (100%)
> D disk2                 State: up       Device /dev/da2h        Avail: 8583/8583  MB (100%)
>
> 1 volumes:
> V data                  State: up       Plexes:       1 Size:         16 GB
>
> 1 plexes:
> P data.p0             S State: up       Subdisks:     2 Size:         16 GB
>
> 2 subdisks:
> S data.p0.s0            State: up       PO:        0  B Size:       8582 MB
> S data.p0.s1            State: up       PO:     1152 kB Size:       8582 MB
>
> I have a 3891M on /dev/da1h that I would like to add (concatenate?) to this.
> My guess is that I need to create a plex with one subdisk and then add it to
> the volume?

No, adding a plex replicates the data, it doesn't extend the address
space.

> Is this possible to do without destroying the data that is currently
> on the volume?

Well, it's possibly to add the plex, and it won't damage existing
data, but all it will do is to partially mirror the existing data.

> If so, what do I need to do to add it?

Just create a config file with the additional information:

  drive disk3 device /dev/da1h
  plex name data.p1 org concat volume data
  sd name data.p1.s0 size 0 drive disk3 plex data.p1

Then:

  vinum -> create configfile
  vinum -> start data.p1

Unfortunately, that's not what you want.  You really want to add a
third subdisk to your plex data.p0, but to do that, the plex needs to
be concatenated, not striped.  This is arguably a misfeature; it
should be possible to have plexes with non-uniform mapping (the first
16 GB striped, the last 4 GB concat, which would solve your problem),
or to add another equal-sized subdisk to a striped plex (which is more
logical, but not what you want).  There's a good chance that somebody
will do the latter some day, but it would require a complete
restructuring of the plex.

Another alternative, if you have the space (i.e 16 GB temporarily), is
to add another plex in the current total size of the volume.  Get it
up and running, remove the original plex and restructure it as
concatenated, adding in the third disk.  Start that plex, stop the
temporary plex, and you should be OK.  This is complicated enough that
I won't describe the steps unless you really want me to.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.