Date:      Thu, 2 Oct 2008 11:22:29 +0200
From:      "Giuseppe Pagnoni" <gpagnoni@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   LG combo drive and installation: drive not found

Dear FreeBSD experts,

I am trying to install FreeBSD 7.0 on a new i386 machine with no OS
installed yet.  I start the install process with the 1st CD of the
distribution, and I go through the partition phase with no problem.
However, when I get to the point where I select the installation media
(CD/DVD) it says that it cannot find the CD/DVD.

I read on the FAQ list on the FreeBSD site that this can happen when
the drive is configured as a slave with no master.  So I opened up the
box, and I saw that the drive has its own ATAPI/IDE cable/slot on the
motherboard and the jumpers on  the drive are set as MASTER.

The drive is a new LG combo drive, I believe GH22LP20 or something close to it.

I also tried to install Ubuntu and it works fine (but I really would
like FreeBSD!).

Any help or suggestion will be highly appreciated,

thanks in advance

  giuseppe

--
Dip. Scienze Biomediche