Date:      Tue, 01 Oct 2002 13:13:55 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
Cc:        "Brian Henning" <b1henning@hotmail.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: system update

> From: "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
> Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 20:03:28 +0300
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Hi!
>
> > the other question i have is what are the differnence between these two
> > processes:
> > config GENERIC
> > cd ../../compile/GENERIC
> > make depend; make; make install
>
> This is what you would do if you want to re-compile the generic kernel.
> Since the generic kernel is already on your system, doing that doesn't
> make much sense.
>
> If you need to customize your kernel, it is recommended that you copy
> GENERIC to some other file, for instance CUSTOM, make changes to that
> file and build new kernel from that instead of GENERIC.
>
> > as oposed to a the build world process?
>
> The build world process rebuilds not only the kernel but the entire
> operating system.

build world? make buildworld builds everything EXCEPT the kernel. I
suspect he means setting the current directory to /usr/src and doing a
make buildkernel.

If this is what was meant, building a new kernel through the use of
make(1) in /usr/src is the ONLY officially supported method. It should
always be used.

On the other hand, manually running config and using the make in the
compile/KERNEL directory works fine and, assuming that you are only
changing the configuration and not updating any sources, works just as
well. I just find a single "make kernel KERNCONF=KERNEL" command
easier than the longer run of:
make
cd ../../compile/KERNEL
make depend