Date:      Wed, 13 Feb 2002 11:47:21 +0100 (CET)
From:      Herve Quiroz <hquiroz@esil.univ-mrs.fr>
To:        Ernst de Haan <znerd@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposal for bsd.port.mk

> > Recently I took a look upon NetBSD pkgsrc java system. Looks like the
> > latest bsd.port.mk proposal more or less...
>
> Could you provide us with a link?

Here you are, the ports.tar.gz equivalent :
ftp://ftp.fr.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/tar_files/pkgsrc.tar.gz
(or maybe you can browse directly on the ftp...)

BTW, not really topic related but pkgsrc has nice htmls for each package
and for each category (so people get freshports information locally at each cvsup).

> > I am not sure we came to some final decision about the location of libs
> > and the CLASSPATH management. For CLASSPATH I remember we decided not to
>
> Well, perhaps we could modify javavmwrapper so that it installs a script in
> ${PREFIX}/bin/java that will (1) choose the right java executable and (2) set
> the classpath to include all .jar files below ${PREFIX}/share/java/classes or
> so...

Okay. But then you cannot install 2 versions of the same lib and then
choose what to use at runtime/compiletime... I am not saying it's bad (as
we can anyway override the CLASSPATH using command line parameters) but we must
take notice and make a choice.

> > have it set automatically after installing a new java lib (because of some
> > RMI aps and so). But in such a case there should be a unified location for
> > all the java libs. Maybe /usr/local/lib or /usr/local/lib/java. Or maybe
> > it could be easier to have all java-related in /usr/local/java. So
> > /usr/local/java being the $PREFIX for all java-related ports. This way,
> > there would be :
> > /usr/local/java/lib (with GNU Trove, JSX...)
> > /usr/local/java/linux-ibm-jdk13
> > /usr/local/java/jdk-1.1.8
> > /usr/local/java/doc/jdk-1.1.8
> > /usr/local/java/doc/jakarta-ant
>
> Nah, we should not make that distinction between Java programs and other
> programs. There is no /usr/local/ruby directory either.

I agree. I think the best is to have everything (C, C++, ruby...) used the
same way in the system. But then maybe $PREFIX/lib[/java] would better
suit this "unified" way ?

> > Also, maybe there should be something in the proposal to normalize the
> > location of ports. I mean a java tool (like ant or mmake) should go in
> > devel, lang, or java ? Same for java libs.
>
> Good point. I'm more and more in favor of putting things in devel, www and
> textproc instead of java...

Either we go for multiple entries (I mean jakarta-ant being in java/ and
devel/ via a link or so) or we should get rid of the java/ dir. As you
said before there is no ruby/ or c++/ category.

Anyway, how many people are working on the proposal ? Do every
java-related port maintainer agree with it ? Help needed ?
As soon as we have something "pure" and efficient for java ports, I will
try to port/maintain some of the libs I use (Gameframe, log4j, and maybe
later some XML-related like JSX, eXist...) ;)

Herve