Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 1995 00:22:31 EST
From:      Francisco Reyes <freyes@i-2000.com>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Install documentation suggestions

---- Long Message --------
I am a new FreeBsd user. As I was installing I made a few notes
and wanted to share them with the documentation team.

A couple of the items are suggestions to installation program,
but the most of this message will be on documentation issues.

* If my memory serves me well there is a menu on the
installation that says "step by step installation" or something
simmilar. When one selects this option the 'How to assign disk
space to FreeBsd" document appears.

It may be a good idea to make this document a step by step
installation procedure and re-consider the audience to make it
more general (ie spell out at least once what acronyms such as
NFS, and MBR mean).

* Suggested sizes. Although it is difficult to know how much
space a person would need since he/she could install  a variety
of packages the docs could have a few suggested  sets. For
instance there could be one suggested partition size for each
distribution. This would help a lot new comers and will free
old timers from having to answer so frequently the question
"how much space........."

* I found no info on how to install FreeBsd's boot manager. I
suggest that either the step by step installation or the on-line
help describe how and when to use Booteasy(?)

* On the online help there is a note which explains that '='
means that partition starts beyond the 1023 cylinder. What it
did not say is that any partition with the '=' symbol can not be
booted from. It may be obvious for old-timers, but a number of
people, like myself, may not be aware of this limitation until
he/she has spent the time to install the software, and then to ask
people why it is not booting.

This is just a simple note that could save many people a lot of
time.

* There should be a mention about pkg_manage on the
installation docs. The installation makes it easy for someone to
get to pkg_manage, but it doesn't say how to get back to it to
add additional packages. If there is a note somewhere that
mentions pkg_manage then it should be placed in the step by
step installation so new users can see it.

* Buried under one of the zillion menus I found a list of device
names. For non Unix gurus this information is very important
and should not be buried. It should be somewhere easy to find.
Anyone installing FreeBsd for the first time will have no clue
how to configure X because they won't know the name of the
device where the mouse resides.

I am not suggesting that the docs explain all the ins and outs of
how Unix uses /dev instead of names such as 'lpt1', but having
at least the list somewhere obvious may help new-comers.

****** Installation programs prompts that could be improved.

* It would help if the view program had a print option.

* On the installation program acknowledge what media was
selected. After I selected CDrom I wasn't sure if the selection
was taken since nothing happened after I selected it (just went
back to the previous menu)

* Using Fdisk I noticed that if I pressed 'C' and nothing
happened I had to enter the disk geometry. Why not have the
program inform the user if it needs the geometry after the user
has pressed 'C'.

* At installation and at boot time why not display the name of
the devices next to their code. A little prompt 'IDE HD 1'
would be a lot more meaninfull that the actual codes.