Date:      Fri, 08 Dec 2006 22:12:04 +0100
From:      Karel Miklav <karel.miklav@siol.net>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        deischen@freebsd.org, bsam@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   How to break the bootstrapping chain

I'm trying to maintain the gnat-gcc* Ada compiler ports,
currently there are gnat-gcc34 and 41. I'd like to
introduce newer versions, and retire experimental 34,
which is built from an ancient binary which requires
FreeBSD 4 compatibility. I'd like to know:

  1. what do I have to do that gnat-gcc packages will
     appear on FreeBSD FTP sites?

  2. can I use one of FreeBSD packages to bootstrap
     others or do I have to somehow provide my own
     binary?

In case I was not clear enough: the GNAT compiler can
only be bootstrapped with another GNAT. If I base the
procedure on a FreeBSD package, I can no longer provide
the port for that package ... or do I? Damn, who
invented this chicken and egg thing :)

--

Regards,
Karel Miklav