Date:      Mon, 15 Jul 2002 20:23:33 -0700
From:      Mark Edwards <mark@antsclimbtree.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Apache processes not going away

I have noticed some weird behavior lately, but unfortunately I'm not
sure when it started.  Apache processed are being spawned regularly on
my FreeBSD 4.6 machine, but they never die.  In other words, a new one
is spawned every few hours, as long as hits are coming in, but no
processes ever die.  Eventually there are dozens, even hundreds of httpd
processes accumulated, and Apache stops responding.  Doing

apachectl stop
apachectl startssl

removes the processes, but they start building up again.

I've installed these ports:

apache+modssl (1.3.26)
modphp_4 (4.2.1)
mysql-server-3.23.49

My httpd.conf file is set to the defaults of:

Timeout 300
KeepAliveTimeout 15
SSLSessionCacheTimeout  300
MinSpareServers 5
MaxSpareServers 10

Does anyone know what could be causing this?  I'm in touch with some
people having the same problem on Mac OSX Server, so it doesn't seem to
be just me, although my OSX Server machine doesn't have the problem.

Please reply to me off-list.  Thanks!