Date:      Sat, 4 Sep 1999 17:52:47 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        rene@canyon.demon.nl (Rene de Vries)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, wilko@yedi.iaf.nl (Wilko Bulte)
Subject:   Re: FBSD3.3RC + UMAX astra 1220S + NCR810 => panic

Rene de Vries wrote...
> Hi,
>
> Today I bought a Umax 1220S scanner and tried to connect this to my FreeBSD
> Stable (3.3RC) system. I added a NCR810 specially for the scanner (I don't
> want such a device on the same bus as my root disk which is on an aic7890).
> The kernel boots perfectly with both scsi adapters configured
> (as expected ;-), but as soon as the scanner is connected to the NCR810
> the kernel panics.
> The scanner is the only device on that bus and termination is ok.
> The message is: "cam_periph_error: scsi status of CHECK COND returned but no
> sense information is availible. Controller should have returned
> CAM_AUTOSENSE_FAILED" (line 1441 of cam_periph.c). As far as understand the
> comments there, this means that the ncr810 driver did something cam did not
> expect. (This all happens during booting, at the time when the devices are
> probed.)
> For now I've connected the scanner to my other PC running W95 where its
> seems to work as expected.
> I hope someone can help me finding what the problem is and how to fix it.

It sounds like there may be a couple of things going on.  First, your
scanner may not be returning sense information properly.

Second, the NCR driver may be doing something wrong.

It would be helpful if you could hook this up to your 7890 controller and
see what happens.  In general, the Adaptec driver behaves a little better
than the NCR driver.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry