Date:      Wed, 26 Dec 2001 22:14:47 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-sender-09d23e@mired.org>
To:        "Michael Kreykenbohm" <mkrey@telus.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pre-built firewall kernel

Michael Kreykenbohm <mkrey@telus.net> types:

> ------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C18E1B.E7868AE0

Please adjust your mailer to not send HTML copies along with the plain
text. You tend to get better results hree.

> Everythings looks great with the little system I setup, until I realized =
> that the kernel does not have the firewall flags compiled into it.
> Since I do not have the disk space for all the tools to compile etc, I =
> was wondering if one of the distributions was already compliled
> as a firewall, all I seem to need is a kernel itself with the generic =
> items.

Unlike Linux, FreeBSD isn't fragmented into a countably infinite
number of "distributions". There's really just the one.

However, you don't need to recompile the kernel to get a firewall on
recent releases of FreeBSD. The ipfw firewall module can be loaded
into generic, and works just fine.

	<mike