Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 2006 00:19:13 -0600
From:      "Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T" <jeffh@dundeemt.com>
To:        "Warren Block" <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>, questions@freebsd.org, rickie lyman <rickie24@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: I don't see anything to answer my q

On 11/21/06, Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Nov 2006, Jerry McAllister wrote:
>
> > As far as I know, there are no freeware utilities that will do this
> > for NTFS.   The ones that come with FreeBSD will handle fat and fat32
> > just fine, but not NTFS.
>
> QTParted says it can resize NTFS:
>
> http://qtparted.sourceforge.net/features.en.html
>
> It's included on the System Rescue CD, as is Partimage, which can be
> used to back up the partition before trying it:
>
> http://sysresccd.org
>
> -Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota USA

Just finished this task myself this weekend on my laptop.  You don't
need to spend a dime in my opinion.  Being a belt and suspender man,
here is what I did:

Backup ALL of your important docs/pics/files

g4u  - ghost for unix (Based on netbsd) http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/
 Made a complete copy of my entire drive to another drive connected
via USB -- see copydisk
They have a live ISO that makes life nice.

Perfect Disk - 30 day free trial
http://www.raxco.com/products/downloadit/perfectdisk_download.cfm
 I used this to consolidate everything to the front of the drive
giving me 28G on the back end.

qtparted live cd http://qtparted.sourceforge.net/
 After verifying my backup I used the live cd to resize my NTFS
partition and created a 2GB swap and a 20G partition for the OS
They have a live ISO that makes life nice.
Here is where yours may differ as I was doing an installation of
another OS (starts with a U) but the general directions are relevant.

I installed it to the two new partitions, then I told it to write grub
boot to the NEW OS root partition (in my case hda4 - known to grub as
hd0,3)

Then I dd off the the 1st 512 bytes of that drive(the boot sector) to
a file(u#####.bin) on my usb thumb stick

Then I copied the u####.bin file to my C:\ drive and updated the
boot.ini and added another boot option

Works just fine and no damage.  Your biggest concern is what to do
when the new boot loader wants to write to the 1st partition of the
drive -- something you don't want if you want to use the W###### boot
loader.

My best piece of advice is to clone your current hard drive with
g4u/copydisk and test it before proceeding further.  It can save your
bacon -- dual boots are hairy most times because everyone's compute is
slightly different than the next persons.
--
Jeff Hinrichs
Dundee Media & Technology, Inc

I write u##### and w###### because it would be heresy to mention any
other OS by name on the FreeBSD list.  It was utter curiosity with the
u##### OS that lead me to try it.  I am running FreeBSD 6.1 w/ gnome2
on the other workstations here at my house -- the lappy has my
quickbooks I use for billing so it still has a pain in the a$$ os on
it because the application dictates it. ;(  Some day I'll be
completely free of it. :)