Date:      Thu, 08 May 1997 08:32:02 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        Shawn Carey <smc@servtech.com>
Cc:        "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FTP Performance

> Daniel O'Callaghan wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > Alternatively, try reducing the MTU and MRU of ppp's tun interface to 552
> > or 1064.  That cured Robert Chalmers' problem with his ISP's Ascend routers.
> >

> Yes!  That did it, thanks very much!

If you're running -current, I'd appreciate if you'd try putting the
MTU back and running with last nights patches.  This may be a
vj compression problem that should now be fixed.  I'd appreciate
any comments you have.

> One small thing: The only way I was able to effectively change the MTU
> was by hacking the ppp source to change DEF_MRU to 1064 in hdlc.h.
> Using ppp's "set mru" and "set mtu" options did not work - the interface
> would go back to 1500 as soon as I connected with my ISP, even though I
> changed tun0's MTU manually with ifconfig.  Am I doing something wrong,
> or is ppp broken?  At any rate, I can certainly live with this since my
> ISP is the only system I typically connect to.

This was mentioned a while ago and is on my slate.  Looks like a
bug, and it's definitely known.

--
Brian <brian@awfulhak.org>, <brian@freebsd.org>
      <http://www.awfulhak.org>;