Date:      Wed, 21 Aug 2002 07:58:47 +1000
From:      Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
To:        "Thomas E. Zander" <riggs@rrr.de>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why isn't ports/41614 going to be committed?

On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 01:47:55PM +0200, Thomas E. Zander wrote:
> On Tue, 20. Aug 2002, at 12:57 +0200, Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote
> according to [Re: Why isn't ports/41614 going to be committed?]:
>
> > patience is a virtue. ports committers have lots of things to do and are
> > doing stuff in their free time. patches also need to be tested (more or
> > less) extensively so that the resulting port builds and runs well.
> > if there is no ports committer working with linux-eagle himself, it's
> > hard to try out for him....
>
> I just wanted to know if there is a specific problem that prohibits the
> update to be committed.
> I wouldn't ask if it was a compilcated story that breaks dependencies
> or something.
> So I hope that somebody will take a look at it when he's got enough
> time to do it.

It's all a YMMV (Your Milage[sp] May Vary)...

Sometimes I don't hear of a port for months and when I send an
update I get messages saying the original port doesn't work. Sometimes
I get a message after a couple of days saying that there are problems.

Sometimes people don't want to help with a port because it doesn't
look like something they would use, or something which has too many
dependencies which frightens them.

Complaining here doesn't help (been there, done that), contacting
specific commiters about it doesn't help (been there, done that).
Contacting the person who did the commit of the previous version
looks like a good way to go, that has (for me) the best successrate.

Edwin, based on statistics of more than 160 PR's :-)

--
Edwin Groothuis      |            Personal website: http://www.MavEtJu.org
edwin@mavetju.org    |    Weblog: http://www.mavetju.org/weblog/weblog.php