Date:      Wed, 03 Feb 1999 09:50:09 -0800
From:      Thomas Stephens <tas@altavista.net>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
Cc:        emulation@FreeBSD.ORG, Thomas Stephens <tas@altavista.net>
Subject:   Re: Linux devel doesn't work with glibc libs

Marcel Moolenaar wrote:

>I don't if I'm the right person and I don't know if I have the resources,
>especially time, but I do know that Linux emulation is very important for
>FreeBSD and that we get nowhere if we're all waiting for someone to do
>something... so let's talk :-)

Yes, very important.  I'm currently using Linux emulation to run ksh
because I couldn't find a native version (ksh93, not pdksh).

>I have some raw ideas. I assume you have some ideas too. I guess a lot of
>people have a lot of ideas... Let's work it out so that we (or I) can *do*
>something.
>
>Currently I don't use the ports-collection. I've downloaded Red Hat 5.2
>packages and installed them. I even ported ps(1) [it was needed for Oracle
>Application Server]. I think we should build the Linux environment from Red
>Hat packages. The ports-collection should hold special ports (like ps and
>other kernel/fs-dependent tools).

I agree a Linux environment built from packages would be an improvement.
I'd personally prefer SuSE, but I suppose most of the major companies
(such as Oracle) support Red Hat.

There is actually a linux_SuSE port in the NetBSD collection, which is
managed though RPMs.  It requires rpm-2.5.4, which is in the NetBSD
collection as well, and I was able to get both installed on FreeBSD with
only a few changes.  I bypassed the dependency check because of my lack
of experience with ports, but I imagine it would be easy to fix that.

I haven't contacted the maintainer of this port (tron@netbsd.org), but
perhaps it would be a good starting point?

>The biggest downside to this is that such a solution requires too much
>Linux-related knowledge. I do not want the FreeBSD user to burn their fingers
>on Red Hat packages. So maybe we should indeed offer some prefab
>collections...

Regards,
-tas