Date:      Mon, 09 Jul 2007 11:40:29 -0700
From:      Dev Mazumdar <dev@opensound.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Skype 1.4 Beta + Alsa sound

> On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 23:16:50 +1000
> Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net> wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone,
>> I've been tinkering with skype 1.4 Beta for Linux. It works pretty much out of the box. I sorted out the dependencies, it launches, works fine *except* for the fact that, because it uses ALSA, it doesn't detect any audio device at all (so, it works for text chats, it should work fine for data transfer, but voip is no go).
>>
>> Any idea how to work around this, other than call them an ask them to not use alsa? Is there any library that wraps alsa calls and translates them into [something that works] ?
>>
>> /usr/home/betom/Numard_Stuff/Downloads/skype_static-1.4.0.74
>
> Would the solution presented here still work in -STABLE? Any caveats / issues with this approach?
>
> http://freebsd.monkey.org/freebsd-multimedia/200606/msg00153.html
>

> thanks!

There are a couple of solutions in OSS v4.0

1) We have developed a cuckoo module that works by faking OSS drivers
like ALSA ones so that the upper layers in ALSA think that OSS drivers
are ALSA ones.

2) Emulate the ALSA library in OSS - ie change the ALSA library to talk
to OSS drivers. THis way we can let ALSA Lib compatible apps run on OSS
drivers.

We invite FreeBSD developers to look at porting any of these options to
FreeBSD - OSS is currently licensed under CDDL 1.0 to BSD developers
(but we're open to BSD licensing)

best regards
Dev Mazumdar
4Front Technologies
4035 Lafayette Place, Unit F, Culver City, CA 90232, USA.
Tel: (310) 202 8530		URL: www.opensound.com
Fax: (310) 202 0496 		Email: info@opensound.com