Date:      Tue, 1 May 2001 09:18:21 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Sean Broestl <broestls@holly.ColoState.EDU>
To:        Thomas <true@vol.at>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel compiling problem

Hi Thomas,

This is a mistake I made at first too. The FreeBSD Handbook tries to cover
all the current versions of FreeBSD, and the kernel compilation section
can be kind of confusing in that regard. To properly compiler a kernel in
FBSD 4.x, do this:

cd /usr/src
make buildkernel KERNCONF=<your kernel config>
make installkernel KERNCONF=<your kernel config>

That should be all you need to do.

Good luck on your FreeBSD rite of passage :)

-Sean Broestl
http://www.counterstricken.org