Date:      Sun, 1 Mar 1998 05:26:37 -0600 (CST)
From:      Font <font@Mcs.Net>
To:        Eddie Irvine <eirvine@tpgi.com.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Setting up an IP route between two ethernet cards.

On Sun, 1 Mar 1998, Eddie Irvine wrote:

> [adding new network of Macs to FreeBSD server]

> The FBSD box, will have addresses 192.168.1.1
> and 192.168.2.1.

> This is OK, isn't it?

Yes.

> Obviously I will have to add an ifconfig for the new card in
> rc.conf as 192.168.2.1

Add the new card to network_interfaces and in ifconfig_devicename.

> Now, I want machines in one room to be able to
> talk TCP/IP to machines in the other room. This
> means I have to configure FBSD to act as a
> router. Yes?

gateway_enable="YES" in rc.conf, and in the TCP/IP configuration of
the clients, have the default router set to the FreeBSD box,
192.168.2.1 for your new room.

It might actually be easier to do this using DHCP.  The Macs I've set
up interoperate very well with ISC dhcpd 1.0.0.

> And the easy way I do it is with "route", yes?

No need.  If you do all of the above in rc.conf and in the client
setup, you'll be home free, all will be taken care of on boot.

A bug in my MUA causes news.announce.newusers                            font
to be sent to beneficiaries and senders of UCE/SPAM.                        @
                                                                      mcs.net
Wishes are like dishes.