Date:      Sun, 15 Dec 1996 20:09:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bradley Dunn <bradley@dunn.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SMC EtherPower 10/100 (SMC9332BDT)

Hi.

I have a few of the Ethernet cards referenced in the subject. Now I know
these are (supposed to be) supported, but I am having problems. At boot,
the card is detected properly, but then it enables the Thinwire/BNC port!
Ummmm...like this card doesn't have a BNC port. I tried various mutations
of ifconfig (link0, -link0, link1, -link1, link2, -link2, -altphys,
altphys) to no avail.

The card is plugged into the hub, the hub works, and the cable works.

The yellow "READ ME FIRST" document that came with the cards has this to
say:

"This EtherPower 10/100 network card requires the latest SMC network
drivers because of its higher performance and added feature content. It
will not operate with drivers provided with older EtherPower 10/100
network cards."

Uh oh. I assume the de driver is designed for these "older" cards? I
checked the CVS logs and did not see anything relevant to this.

This is the DEC 21140 chipset.

Anybody have any magic tips? Thanks.

-BD