Date:      Tue, 5 Oct 1999 20:16:19 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>
To:        rpb@community.net.uk (Ray Bellis)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Crashes with WANic 405 and FreeBSD 3.3

> I've been trying to upgrade a system with a WANic 405 card to FreeBSD
> 3.3-RELEASE and whenever the sr0 device is ifconfig'ed up the system
> completely freezes a couple of seconds later.
>
> The sr(4) driver seems almost untouched compared to the 2.2.8-stable
> version, could there be a major bug in sppp(4) or similar that's causing
> this?

I don't know of any problems with the sr(4) driver. Sppp(4) has been
rewritten between FreeBSD 2.x and 3.x, mainly to make it usable for
the isdn folks too. In the process the leased line stuff lost out a
little. :-( At the moment I'm busy looking at it. It is ok once the
link is up, but there is a few problems with it still.

The one is if the link is put into loopback. It looks like it go into
transmit frenzy, which might be what you are seeing.

The other problem is when the link is down long enough for sppp to
timeout, then it won't bring ppp up again if the link is restored.
An ifconfig sr0 down; ifconfig sr0 up normally fix this.

Do you see any error or other related messages on the console? Is
it totally dead? Can you still ping it over the ethernet? Assuming
you have an ethernet connection too.

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@mikom.csir.co.za